The Maxim Motor Company was an American automaker headquartered in Middleborough, Massachusetts, specializing in the manufacture of firefighting apparatus. The company was founded in 1914 by Middleborough Fire Chief Carlton Maxim, who felt that he could make a better fire engine than the town's recent purchase.
By 1920 it was an established manufacturer of fire engines for towns in Massachusetts, and from the 1920s through the 1980s it expanded to small but reliable markets in the south, mid-west, west coast, and internationally. Howard Smith, two time author on Maxim has estimated that Maxim made over 3,000 fire engines during this period. Known as Maxim Motor Division, the company was purchased by the Seagrave Corporation in 1963 and operated as an independent corporation.
In 1975, Maxim Industries was bought by North Street Associates and changed back to Maxim Motor Company when it was owned by David Deane, owner of Springfield Fire Equipment. It was acquired by Harvey Waite in 1985 and the company was changed to Maxim Incorporated. Waite took on a partner in the form of Urban Transportation Development Company, a subsidiary of Lavalin Ltd., a worldwide engineering company. UTDC bought Waite out in 1988. On December 9, 1989 the company ceased operation due to heavy competition, but in 2009 was re-established as a brand by Greenwood Emergency Vehicles of North Attleboro, MA.
Some digital effects were applied to this original image after the photograph was made. No electrons were harmed during the transition. Ordered images will not contain the FAA watermark.
Image copyright 2019 by Jon Burch Photography.
June 30th, 2019
Viewed 658 Times - Last Visitor from San Francisco, CA on 09/18/2023 at 10:23 AM